October 1, 2020
Recipe of the Month: October
Deconstructed Crab Cake Toasts
Crab Dip Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1/2 cup corn kernels Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. chipped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs – unseasoned
- 1 lb. lump crab meat
- 1 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped scallions
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, corn, and salt and pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove from heat, place in a bowl to cool completely.
- Combine vegetable mixure with eggs, chiptole, mustard, mayonnaise and breadcrumbs. Stir well to combine.
- Gently fold in crab meat and transfer into a buttered baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the dip is baking: Combine panko crumbs, melted butter, finely chopped scallions, salt and pepper.
- After 15 minutes, remove dip from oven and top with prepared panko crumbs. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
Adapted from taste.com.au
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, extra
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the pan: grease a 6cm-deep, 9 cm x 19 cm (base) loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2 cm above edges of pan on long sides.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cumin and chili powder into a bowl. Add polenta, sugar and salt. Season with pepper. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center. Add buttermilk, egg and oil. Stir to combine. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Combine crushed coriander seeds, chili flakes and extra salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of bread comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a baking paper-lined wire rack to cool completely.
- Preheat broiler.
- Using a serrated knife, trim ends from loaf. Cut loaf into 2cm-thick slices. Place on prepared tray. Toast for 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
Get a year’s worth of recipes—check out our 2020 calendar.