Cinnamon Toast Crunch® Ice Cream with Peaches
SERVES 6-8 • It’s a sweet taste of summer in a bowl: warm, fresh peaches and velvety ice cream with just the right hint of cinnamon.
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch®
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Fresh peaches, halved and pitted
- Maple syrup (for brushing)
- Butter (for grilling)
- Pecans, chopped
- Start by pouring the milk in a bowl and putting ½ cup of the cereal in it. (You really only need one cup of milk, but some of the milk is going to get absorbed into the cereal, so it’s best to use 1 ¼ cups.)
- Let the cereal sit in the fridge for as long as you can. Six to eight hours is ideal. When you take it out of the fridge, it will be all soggy-like.
- Strain the milk from the cereal, making sure you have a cup of milk
(if you need more, just pour more plain milk). Put milk in a medium saucepan. Heat the milk with the salt and sugar in the saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl. Pour half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then pour that back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour the cream into a separate bowl placed in an ice bath. Now, strain the warm milk mixture into the bowl of cream. Add in vanilla. Stir over the ice until cool. Then put the bowl into the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- In the meantime, prepare the cereal, so it’s nice and crunchy when you add it into the ice cream. First, put the two cups of cereal in a bag and crush it just a little bit. Heat the butter and brown sugar in a bowl in the microwave until it’s melted. Whisk it together and pour it over the cereal.
- Spread the cereal over a parchment-lined cookie sheet, so it’s in a nice even layer and bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350oF, until it’s nice and caramelized. Let it cool and then break it into little pieces.
- Process your ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon while the ice cream is processing.
- When the ice cream is almost done, mix in the Cinnamon Toast. Then store the ice cream in a separate container and let freeze for another few hours, or overnight.
from We are not Martha
Brush the peach halves with maple syrup. Smear butter on a grill or grill pan over low heat. Place the peaches cut side down onto the grill/grill pan and cook them low and slow for a few minutes, rotating them 90 degrees halfway through. Monitor the cooking temp and keep it low enough that the maple syrup doesn’t burn.
Remove the peaches when they’re slightly soft but not mushy and have great grill marks. Brush a little extra maple syrup over the tops.
Scoop ice cream into a bowl, then cut peach halves in half. Press the slices into the ice cream, sprinkle pecans and extra Cinnamon Toast Crunch®.