March 17, 2017
Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte
Clouds of peanut butter goodness nestled into a rich chocolate shell. Worth. Every. Calorie.
- 1 package (approximately 36) Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy/whipping cream
- 1 and ½ cups powdered/confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 and ½ cups peanut butter
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ½ cup peanut butter chips (or chocolate chips)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Chopped peanuts, or chopped peanut butter cups, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Butter a 9-inch spring form pan, and set aside.
- Finely process Oreo Cookies using a food processor or by hand with a rolling pin.
- Pour crumbs into a small bowl, and add salt. Melt butter, and pour over crushed cookies. Stir with a fork until completely moistened. Evenly press crumb mixture into pan, on bottom and up sides. Place in freezer for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream into a different bowl, and place in refrigerator until needed. Use the same bowl, but replace whisk with the paddle attachment.
- Beat together cream cheese and remaining 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add peanut butter and milk, and beat until completely combined. Scrape sides as needed. Remove bowl from mixer. Add about ¼ of the whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture. Use a spatula to fold the cream into the peanut butter to lighten the mixture. Do not stir vigorously, carefully fold the mixture so you don’t deflate the whipped cream. Add the remaining cream in two batches, using the same folding method, until all of the whipped cream is completely incorporated. Carefully add the peanut butter chips and gently stir to combine.
- Pour peanut butter mousse into the cookie shell, and smooth top.
- Refrigerate until filling is firm, about 30 minutes. Then, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate an additional 4 hours before serving.
- Heat cream in a glass bowl in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, until cream is steaming hot but not boiling.
- Using a wire whisk, stir chopped chocolate into the cream. Stir gently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to thicken.
- Once mixture is thickened, carefully spread over top of torte.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts or chopped peanut butter cup candies, as desired.
- Refrigerate a few moments more until chocolate topping begins to harden.
Total time includes 4 hours chilling time. Hands-on time is only about 40 minutes.
Recipe curtesy of Lemon-sugar.com