We were all told by our moms that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how many of us really treat it as such? If you are anything like me, you just don’t have the time or the effort on most mornings to eat. Instead you stop at a Starbucks on the way to work and replace that missed meal with a quick caffeine fix. That may hold you over for a couple of hours but it doesn’t provide the healthy living benefits that you get from a good breakfast.
In case you didn’t already know, breakfast…
• Kick starts the metabolism
• Prevents fat storage and increases nutrient intake
• Helps with weight loss
• Provides sustained energy
• Increases concentration and memory
So here are a few ways to get you eating and out the door happy.
• Try toasting a whole grain bagel and instead of cream cheese, lightly spread cottage cheese across the top and sprinkle with flaxseed. Choose your favorite fruit as a side and eat with orange juice or herbal tea.
• Cereal doesn’t have to be eaten plain, and shouldn’t! Take your favorite multi grain cereal and add toppings like raisins, bananas, strawberries or raspberries. Chances are you will go through that box of cereal a lot faster.
• Make your own parfait. Add two cups of yogurt and a cup of granola with any combination of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or blackberries. Make sure you start your day hydrated by drinking a glass of water in the morning.
• Replace that latte with a smoothie. There are endless possibilities but a personal favorite is strawberries, banana, and either kiwi or blueberries mixed with yogurt and flaxseed.
• Have a breakfast burrito made from a whole grain tortilla and stuffed with eggs, sliced tomato and a little bit of cheese. Orange Juice is always a good complement and so is green tea.