December 3, 2019
20 questions with Sam, our new Copywriter
From his least favorite word to the candy he can live without, we found out a whole lot about Sam when we asked him these 20 questions.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I was dead set on being a sports journalist. At a newspaper. Weird, right?
- What has been your previous work experience? I’ve worked everywhere from a one-room startup with four people to a 100-person office with a disturbing number of personal space heaters.
- How did you get interested in your current line of work? I’ve always been a creative person, so advertising came naturally to me. I love seeing how big an idea can get.
- What strengths or unique talents do you bring to IN Food Marketing & Design? I obsessively try to whittle down an idea to its simplest form. That quick line is often what’s going to get someone’s attention. You can get wordy after that, but first, you’ve got to get your audience to care.
- What one item in the kitchen best describes you and your personality? I’m a spoon—here’s why. I opened beer bottles with a spoon in college because, at one point, we lost all our bottle openers and didn’t buy another one for months. I had to figure out another way to get that sweet hoppy nectar, so I did trial and error opening bottles with the cutlery. Something like a spoon has seemingly one purpose, but it’s capable of more if you think outside the box.
- What is your favorite candy? Least? I’m all about Kit Kats. Great crunch, great jingle. Twizzlers do nothing for me.
- If you had to eat the same meal every day for the rest of your life what would it be? Realistically, I could eat a grilled chicken sandwich every single day. Lettuce, tomato, red onion and honey mustard on a good bun. *chef’s kiss*
- What is your favorite restaurant? Lee’s Chicken in Lincoln, NE. If you know, you know.
- What is your most embarrassing food-related incident? I was a picky eater as a kid. My family took a vacation to Costa Rica when I was in 3rd grade and I spent most of the trip fussing about the meals. So, one day they decided to find me some pizza. I’d for sure eat pizza, right? We drove for what seemed like hours and, miraculously, found what I believe was a Pizza Hut. Victory? Nope. I had two bites, then said it wasn’t the same as the pizza back home. What a brat. I’m surprised they didn’t leave me behind.
- What is your favorite kind of pizza? You bring the meat lovers pizza, I’ll bring the TUMS.
- What are you “in” to? Loud live music. Nature walks. Hot coffee with cream.
- What music are you “in” to? I like 60s rock and RnB, but I’ll listen to just about anything.
- What movies are you “in” to? 90-minute ones.
- What TV show are you “in” to right now? At any given time I’ve got an hour-long drama and a 20-minute comedy in rotation. Right now I’m on Succession and Schitt’s Creek.
- If you could live anywhere, what country/city/place would you live “in”? A house with a recording studio in the basement.
- What’s the funniest situation you’ve ever been “in”? My wife and I drove a scooter 10+ miles on the Spanish interstate one time. In the rain. We lived.
- If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be? Sorry if this is cliché, but I’d totally fly. My commute would take no time at all and I wouldn’t have to worry about parking. Keep your laser vision.
- If you could be an animal for one day, what would you be and why? I wouldn’t mind being my spoiled Boston Terrier. Dude snoozes for 16 hours a day, I swear.
- What is your favorite word? What is your least? Favorite: Boogie. Least: Thimble.
- What is your favorite song to karaoke? SOLO: “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” by Frank Sinatra. WITH A GROUP: “The Weight” by the Band.
Welcome to the team, Sam! We’re excited to have you on board.